Nov 10, 2010

At holiday time, ask: What is meaningful?

This is the time when we often feel overwhelmed with all the demands of the holiday. The truth is that many people face the holidays with dread, disgust, fear or worse – or a combination of the above.

For some people, the holidays are a time of emotional stress and financial pressure. We may feel the special loneliness as we miss important people who have departed our lives through death, divorce or residential moves. We may be stirred with feelings of regret or distress about family relationships that are filled with tension when we wish there could be love.


Yes, we need to think about this. But we must be aware of thinking too much and we need to marry our thoughts and plans with the context and gifts of experience.

The logical question that I have learned to ask myself is:

“What kind of meaningful experiences can I create at this time of year for myself and those I love?”

If I want to experience joy, I strive to give myself opportunities to put myself in situations where I will find joy – taking part in activities that are fulfilling and enjoyable and spending time with people who are healthy, warm and positive.

Although not every experience during the season can fit that assignment, my intention is that most of my decisions will lead to good experiences.

The experiences that I create will live within me.

I carry those good experiences wherever I go, just like I hold the memory of my prom date that I created  as a woman in my thirties. Furthermore, I can revisit those experiences within myself that are warm and comforting – no matter what time of year they took place.

So today and during this holiday season, I wish you good experiences. Experiences that will build warm feelings and good memories.

I also wish that we can value the gifts we contain within ourselves:

The brain – which thinks and reasons – is a gift. And the body – which senses and holds much unconscious material – is also a gift.

Perhaps you are remembering a good moment, a moment of joy that you treasure that makes you smile, or a moment of logic that failed and gave you a great and important learning. Or your own discovery how your brain and emotions have successfully worked together for the good of you.

They are all gifts.